Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Food Rescue

Through one of the ladies at church, I recently got involved in an organization called Food Rescue. Basically, what they do is get donations of perfectly good food from restaurants and stores that would normally get thrown away. The volunteers pick up the food from the establishment and then deliver it to an organization that can use it. I've been picking up from a Panera bakery a couple of times a month and taking it to the Clara White mission downtown. It breaks my heart to see the homeless people sleeping in the parking lot where I go to deliver, not to mention all the ones just hanging around waiting for the help they receive from the mission.

It's amazing how much Panera throws out daily. Some days I pick up as many as 7-8 huge plastic bags full. We just got word that we're delivering more than Clara White can use, so the next time I deliver, I will be delivering to a new organization. I'm not doing much, but hopefully it's making a difference to at least one person.

Maybe you'd like to donate 90 minutes of your time once a month? Or perhaps you know of an establishment that throws out food that they could donate? Find out more about Food Rescue by visiting their website at http://www.foodrescue.net.


No comments: