Friday, November 14, 2008

Space Shuttle Endeavor Launch 11/14/2008

Today I heard the Space Shuttle was supposed to launch tonight. I have lived in Florida all my life and have never been to a launch. Before Tim met me, he had traveled down about 6 times to see a launch and each time they were cancelled.

So, I thought it would be nice to be spontaneous and just take off to watch the night launch. Tim and JT agreed and we were on our way. It's a 2 hour drive but traffic started backing up on I-95 when we got near Titusville, so it took a little longer. We grabbed a few subs at Subway and started looking for a place to park and watch the action.

We finally found a parking lot about 2-3 blocks away from the water. We walked a little way and saw some people gathering behind a condo building. We got extremely lucky and ended up at a place with a great view of the launch pad across the river!

It was exciting watching the shuttle launch and it was nice sharing this first together.

This video doesn't do the sights or sounds justice, but it's not too bad coming from my digital camera with no tripod.

2 comments:

KD said...

I'm a little jealous, but I'm glad that you got to watch the launch as a family. Pretty good video from your camera.

Robbin K. Tungett said...

If we had planned it, I would have invited you to come too! But, it was totally spontaneous - that's what made it cool.